How do I know a Tsunami is coming?
Strong ground shaking, a loud ocean roar, or the water receding unusually far exposing the sea floor are all nature’s warnings that a tsunami may be coming. If you observe any of these warning signs, immediately go to higher ground or inland. A tsunami may arrive within minutes and may last for eight hours or longer. Stay away from coastal areas until officials announce that it is safe to return. Official warnings may also occur- radio, television, telephone, text message, door-to-door contact by emergency responders.
If you feel a strong earthquake while near the coast:
- PROTECT yourself during the earthquake
- MOVE to high ground or inland as soon as you can
- STAY there.
||What You Need To Know
- Tsunami Information from California Department of Conservation - new resources posted 2021
- Tsunami Zone Website
- Local Tsunami Inundation Maps for Emergency Planning
- Brochure, How to Survive a Tsunami