- The Community Room seats up to 90 people and is available to non-profit/educational organizations during Library operating hours. Booking is done online and is subject to Library approval.
- The Solarium Conference Room seats 12 people and may be reserved for 2 hours, if available.
Booking a Room
The Community Room and Solarium Room may be reserved on a first-come first-served basis within the following priorities:
- Programs and meetings hosted or sponsored by the Monterey Public Library.
- Programs and meetings hosted or sponsored by the City of Monterey.
- Programs and meetings of an informational, educational or cultural nature sponsored or hosted by other government agencies, nonprofit organizations, community groups, or individuals.
Community Room booking limit of two times per month per individual and/or organization. Booking limit of 4 (four) hours per day and 8 (eight) hours per month. Bookings require a minimum lead time of 5 (five) days with availability set at 42 days (6 weeks).
Solarium Conference Room booking limits of two times per month per individual and/or organization. Booking limit of 2 (two) hours per day. Bookings can be made same day, and up to 7 days in advance.
Use of the Community Room and Solarium Room by any group or individual does not constitute Monterey Public Library or City of Monterey sponsorship or endorsement of the organization, its policies and beliefs, or the content of the meeting or program. All publicity materials must include the statement: “This program is not sponsored by the Monterey Public Library, which does not endorse the viewpoints of meetings or meeting room users.”
Requirements for Meeting Room Use:
All outside (non-City or Library) persons and groups reserving a Library meeting room must agree in writing to abide by this Policy, including the following:
- It is the responsibility of the person signing as authorized representative of the group to remain on the premises throughout the period for which it is reserved, to ensure the safety and security of attendees and the Library facility and to further ensure that attendees observe this Policy and all other applicable rules and regulations, including Library Policy 515 – Disruptive Behavior in the Library and Policy 520 - Unattended Children in the Library. This individual must have a valid Monterey Public Library card and must be at least 18 years old.
- Individuals granted use of meeting rooms are responsible for the condition of the room, furnishings, and equipment. The room must be restored to its original clean condition at the end of the meeting. Payment will be required for any damage to the Library premises or property.
- All meetings and events must be noncommercial in nature. No admission fee, commercial transactions, or direct sales are permitted. Exception: Presenters may sell their works to attendees during Library sponsored events. Pursuant to the Memorandum of Understanding with the Monterey Public Library Friends and Foundation (the “Foundation”), the Foundation may fundraise and receive donations.
- All Community Room meetings and events must be open to the public.
- Meeting rooms are available for use during Library open hours only. Rooms will be reserved for specific hours, and groups are expected to relinquish the room at the conclusion of their reserved time.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are not permitted. Food is permitted, but the group or individual is responsible for cleanup and must bring its own supplies (coffee cups, napkins, etc.).
- No individual or group may use meeting rooms more than two (2) times per month.
- The authorized representative of a group or an individual shall agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the City, its officer, directors, and employees from any loss, liability, or damage arising out of or in connection with the use of the meeting room and the equipment or services of the City or Library. Insurance may be required for groups in an amount established by the Library Director in consultation with the City’s Risk Manager. Proof of insurance must be received prior to confirmation and approval of meeting room use.
The Library will make every effort to avoid requiring groups to reschedule or cancel scheduled programs and meetings. However, the Library must occasionally cancel or reschedule room reservations based on these priorities, Library closures, or other unusual circumstances. In such instances, the Library will use all reasonable efforts to assist the group in reserving another date or Library facility.
View room availability/Book a room