6th Ave between Mission and San Carlos, Carmel-by-the-Sea
The Carmel Fire Department was founded in 1915, and the current station was completed in 1937, after having been housed in two prior locations. Carmel Chemical No. 1 was established in the aftermath of a fire that threatened the entire community of Carmel. On July 16, 1915, over a year before the incorporation of the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea, the Fire Department By-Laws were adopted with the primary objective being the protection of property from and during fires as may occur in Carmel and vicinity. Under the direction of Foreman B.W. Adams, Carmel Chemical No. 1 operated a Stempal forty gallon soda-acid wagon, a hand-pulled hose cart, and purchased a glaxon siren for the fire house, which was located at Ocean and Dolores.