A business license is required if you do business in the City of Monterey. It is mandatory for all businesses to submit a business license application on or before starting to do business. Business license tax is not refundable or transferable. All business licenses expire on June 30th and must be renewed by August 15th to avoid late penalties.
RENEW MY BUSINESS LICENSE
Business License Tax Calculator
This calculator is used to compute the City of Monterey business license tax and promotion fee, if applicable. Please select the appropriate business license section, indicate whether the business is located in one of the City's promotion districts, and input the annual gross receipts. Select the
Calculate button and the business license tax calculator will display the corresponding tax and promotion fee.
- Select one of the following business license sections – refer to your business license renewal form (also referred to as the Affidavit of Gross Receipts) to determine which license section is applicable for your business:
- Select one or none of the following promotion districts, as appropriate – refer to your business license renewal form or contact the Revenue Office if you are not sure whether your business is located within a promotion district:
- What are the annual gross receipts for your business, (exclusive of liquor sales and sales tax)?
PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT USE A DOLLAR SIGN ($) or COMMA (,)
Business License Information
The City of Monterey Business Registration Search lists most businesses that hold or have held a City Business registration. The City is unable to guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of the data. To facilitate quick responses, query results are limited to a maximum of 100.
Depending on the type of business, the location, and whether alterations are planned for the building or property, other permits and fees may be required. To assure that you meet all City requirements, check with the Planning Office. Additional state and county requirements may apply to your business. Visit the Starting a Business Page for more information.
- Fact Sheet - Business License Ballot Measure
- Business License FAQs
- Promotion Districts
- Monterey County Health Permit
- Monterey City Code Chapter 19 (Licenses, Fees & Charges)
- Assembly Bill (AB)1379 - Disability Access Requirements
- Senate Bill (SB)205 - Business Licenses: Storm Water Discharge Compliance