- Requiring all disposable food service ware distributed in Monterey to be recyclable or compostable as of 2019
- Receiving a Clean Air Leader Award from the Monterey Bay Air Resources District in 2018 for demonstrating leadership in working toward improved outdoor air quality in the City
- Receiving four Beacon Spotlight Awards in 2017 for greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions, energy savings and sustainable practices in the Monterey region
- Leading the initiative for the City to join Central Coast Community Energy (3CE)
- Developing the City's first Climate Action Plan in 2015
- Implementing a commercial food waste diversion program in 2012
Food Scrap Collection Program - Effective January 1, 2022!
Residents can now add accepted food scraps to their green curbside cart. Food scrap collection is part of the implementation of California’s legislation (SB 1383) addressing climate pollutants and wasted food.
Get all the details:
- City of Monterey Organic Waste Recycling
- Monterey City Disposal Service Website
- ReGen Monterey Website
- ReGen Monterey (formerly MRWMD) News Release, Jan. 6, 2022
- SB 1383: CalRecycle's New Statewide Mandatory Organic Waste Collection
- Pick yours up in the Planning Office at 570 Pacific Street
- Open Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm, closed for lunch 12 - 1pm
- October 26, 2022 Study Session Presentation
- Climate Action Plan
- City Report: Adapting a Threatened Transportation Network to Sea Level Rise
- Transportation Alternatives - Get around Monterey Car-Free
- Central Coast Community Energy
- 2020 City of Monterey GHG inventory prepared by AMBAG
- United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Sixth Assessment Report
- The City has two electric vehicle charging areas and a total of four stations:
- Downtown West Parking Garage - 340 Tyler Street: 2 Stations, $0.36 per kWh.
- Calle Principal Garage - 440 Calle Principal Street: 2 Stations, $1.50 per hour to park, $0.36 per kWh.
- For both charging areas, there is an idle fee of $0.50 per minute after a 30 minute grace period.
- The City of Monterey is part of Central Coast Community Energy (3CE)
- 3Cprime: 100% Renewable Energy Option
- Energy Saving Tips & Rebate Programs
Solid Waste & Recycling
- Household, Business & Multi-family Recycling
- Organic Waste Recycling
- Cash for Bottles and Cans
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) & Battery Recycling
- Monterey City Disposal Service (MCDS) Franchise Agreement
- Medical Waste Disposal (visit Monterey County Health Department or call (831) 755-4505)
- Food Scrap Collection - NEW RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM FOR 2022!
- The FY 22-23 Edible Food Recovery Grant is Open for Applications!
- Edible Food Recovery
- Disposable Food Service Ware Ban
- Plastic Bag Ban
- Business Recycling
- Green Building Program
- Green Business Certification Program
- Monterey City Code garbage and refuse violations: email@example.com
- Use of Non-Compliant Disposable Food Service Ware
- Littering and illegal dumping: Keepmontereycountyclean.org
- Theft of recyclables: use the Report Recycling Theft form or call Monterey City Disposal Service at (831) 372-7977
- Water waste: Monterey Peninsula Water Management District
- Encampments causing a litter nuisance and health risk: Monterey Police Department