Information in Zero Waste:
- Choose to Reuse Single Use Carry Out Bags
- Environmentally-Friendly Food Packaging
- Food Scrap Collection Program
reduce food waste
To reduce food waste and help food insecure families, edible food may be donated to the following organizations:
- Monterey County Food Bank: 353 W. Rossi Street in Salinas, https://foodbankformontereycounty.org/
- Salvation Army: 800 Scott Street in Sand City, https://montereypeninsula.salvationarmy.org/monterey_peninsula_corps/cure-hunger/
- Thomas Carman Food Pantry: 425 Carmel Avenue in Marina (non-perishables only), https://www.thomascarmenfoodpantry.org/
- Meals on Wheels: 700 Jewell Avenue in Pacific Grove, https://www.mowmp.org/
Choose to Reuse
Use reusable bags every time you shop instead of plastic ones.
- Each year billions of bags end up in our streets as litter.
- Production requires vast amounts of oil.
- Plastic bags don’t biodegrade, but instead break down into small toxic particles polluting our soil and waterways.
- Recent studies have shown that plastic outnumbers plankton 6:1 in the ocean.