Healthy Eating Active Living City
The Monterey Model
Citizen Comment Form
Visit montereyconferencecenter.com to learn more about weddings and special events.
City Budget News
Communications and Outreach
Also on I-SEARCH Monterey
Fixing Streets - Measure S
The NFremont Bike and Ped Project
Transportation Demand Management
Wireless Facility News
Council Meetings Video on Demand
Planning Commission Video on Demand
and much more...
City Focus Newsletter
Connect on Social Media
Building and Safety
Leasing and Property Management
Community Centers|Field Sports
Youth Camps|Activity Guide
MONTEREY SPORTS CENTER
PARKS AND BEACHES
Trees and Urban Forestry
Cemetery El Encinal
Presidio Municipal Services
Streets and Utilities
Apply For... | Pay For...
Find Information About...
Sign Up For... | Subscribe to...
Get Help With...
Neighborhood & Community Improvement Program
Monterey will celebrate 250 years all year long in 2020!
Record-setting Monterey Car Week - every August
Encouraging visitor awareness and good stewardship of the Monterey environment
Park and ride the FREE MST Trolley
Travel + Leisure Magazine named Monterey #6 "America's Favorite Beach Towns" 2016
Here's a sampling of City of Monterey awards and milestones since 2016 to present.
Holman Highway Roundabout
CalTrans Excellence in Transportation Award
Receives Judges Award of Merit, ENR (Engineering News Record) California's 2018 'Best Projects' - this is the 7th award earned for this project.
League of Ca Cities 2018 Outstanding Local Streets and Roads Award
California Transportation Foundation
American council of Engineering Companies
MBARD recognized the City of Monterey for the significant amount of initiatives implemented to reduce climate impacts and improve air quality including:
- Monterey began providing carbon-free electricity to businesses through Monterey Bay Community Power (MBCP) in March 2018. Residences will begin receiving their electricity through MBCP in July 2018.
- Monterey has three electric vehicle charging areas with a total of five charging stations.
- Bike lockers are available to rent at several public parking garages.
- Monterey implemented several lighting upgrades throughout the City. The old lighting fixtures were replaced with the latest lighting technologies available and are reducing average energy consumption by 35%. More importantly: Every kwH saved reduces the need to produce this energy, thus reducing the carbon emissions and carbon footprint for the Monterey peninsula.
- The Environmental Programs Office facilitates Green Business Program certifications and re-certifications. Pollution prevention measures include: using low emission building materials/carpet/furniture, purchasing low VOC paints/paint removers/etc., using low toxicity non-aerosol cleaning products, and buying renewable energy credits to offset CO2 emissions.
- AB 1826 Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling was adopted into City Code, thus allowing for the City to monitor and enforce organic waste recycling efforts. This increases organic waste diversion and further decreases greenhouse gas emissions, as the City has access to an anaerobic digester at the Monterey Regional Waste Management District (MRWMD).
- The City is currently exploring solar panel installation on City-owned properties to offset a significant portion of the City's energy use.
- In 2017, Monterey received four Beacon awards for the following: 15% Agency Energy Savings (Gold Level), 29% Agency Greenhouse Gas Reductions (Platinum Level), 7% Community Greenhouse Gas Reductions (Silver Level), and Sustainability Best Practices (Silver Level).
- The City has two electric vehicles and seven hybrid vehicles for employee use.
Institute for Local Government Spotlight Award Winner