The City is committed to making its websites accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We have made every effort to make our website accessible and easy to use by following the available standards and guidelines.
Currently, we are working to adhere to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and Section 508 requirements as set forth by the Worldwide Web Consortium (W3C) Accessibility Initiative. Ongoing validation testing with SiteImprove and other products is conducted using industry-recognized tops for coding and usability. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities. By conforming to these guidelines, we strive to make our website user-friendly for everyone.
Adobe Acrobat PDF Files - We have a large number of documents in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF). Download the latest free version of Adobe Reader in order to improve the viewing of these files. We are working on a process to ensure all PDFs are accessible.
Screen readers - To assist our visitors who are visually impaired or blind, we are working to ensure our website is compatible with screen reading software.
Exceptions - While we strive to adhere to the accepted guidelines and standards for accessibility and usability, it is not always possible to do so in all areas of the website. Currently our PDF documents are not compatible with screen reading software. If needed, site visitors may request a file in another format. The City will make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Language Translations - Translations on the City’s website are automated through the use of Google™ Translate, a computerized translation tool. It is possible that the automated translations of the City’s Web pages may have errors and that not all text will be translated. The City does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of the translated text and shall not be liable for any losses or damages caused by reliance on the translated text. If you are concerned about the accuracy of the translation, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.
Please contact us if there is information on this Web site you are having trouble accessing.
Commonly-used browsers also offer tools to aid in web accessibility:
Adobe Acrobat is required to view and print PDF documents that appear on this website.
For citywide accessibility information please visit the Accessibility page
Links must be consistent with the purpose of the overall mission. Links in general will consist of City-related programs, services, activities, policies and committees. The City reserves the right to limit the number of links in any one Web section or page category and to require a “pool” link that would pertain to a particular type of organization. For example, commercial businesses in general will not be provided direct links from the City’s Website.
The City may, but is not required to, provide a link to a business association, which represents a number of local businesses. The City will provide links to the Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau (MCCVB), the Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce, and local hotels that meet the criteria on the Hotels and Meeting Facilities Web page. In order to avoid the appearance of City endorsement of political or faith-based/religious content, links shall not be made to sites:
1) associated with, sponsored by or serving a candidate for elected office, any political party or organization supporting or seeking to defeat any candidate for elective office or ballot proposal; or
2) associated with, sponsored by or serving a religious/faith-based organization/group or whose mission is faith based.
Links may be made to sites that meet the following criteria:
- maintained by a non-profit charitable, educational, hospital, social, scientific or cultural organization serving Monterey Peninsula community members
- maintained by an established news-gathering organization, being either a newspaper of regular, paid circulation that has published at not less than biweekly intervals within the County for at least one year; or a television station whose over-the-air broadcast signal Grade B contour covers more than half of the City's geographical area and provides local news regularly and maintains a national network affiliation
- maintained by a state, local or federal government agency or local school or library board
- maintained by an organization that receives direct financial support from the City
- maintained by companies that provide non-City utility services to community members
- maintained by established business and neighborhood associations within the City of Monterey
- organizations that sponsor or support a City-sponsored event or association
- research, education and information sites selected by Monterey Public Library staff using Library guidelines that complement or supplement materials and resources already available in the Library
- groups that hold an event at the Monterey Conference Center may also be linked from the Conference Center’s calendar page
- provides a unique online tool to assist residents in accessing information on the site or in communicating with each other, e.g., search engine
The City of Monterey shall maintain sole discretion over the determination of which links may be included on its Website and reserves the right to remove any link at any time without cause.
Images used on the City of Monterey's Web site, excluding the City logo or seal, are considered part of the public record and are available for use by the public free of charge for non-commercial purposes. However, the City of Monterey reserves the right to regulate use of the City Seal and City of Monterey logo, as deemed appropriate. In addition, by electing to download any image from the City's Web site (www.monterey.org), or other image as provided through public record request, the user agrees that the City of Monterey makes no warranties or representations with respect to its ownership of copyrights for the images, does not represent others who may claim to be owners of rights in the images, and makes no warranties as to the quality of the images.
Commercial users (excluding journalistic uses) are required to complete the City of Monterey Use of Image Release Form and return a signed copy to the City of Monterey, Communications & Outreach Office, City Hall, Monterey, CA 93940, who will countersign document and return a copy to you. This document will become effective when it is countersigned by the City of Monterey and payment, if required, is received. City of Monterey contractors and consultants with requests to use City of Monterey images in advertising or public relation materials should be directed to the Communications & Outreach Office, City Hall, Monterey, CA 93940 (831) 242-8750, MontereyWebmaster@monterey.org). Requests may be faxed to (831) 646-3793.
Questions regarding use of the City of Monterey logo or City Seal should also be directed to the aforementioned contact.