Below are five simple steps to reduce unwanted mail or solicitations:
- Reduce Credit Card Offers – start by optin out of receiving credit offers. Contact the three major credit bureaus at 1-888-5-OPTOUT (567-8688) for more information. When you call, you will need to provide your home telephone number, name, and Social Security number. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out of receiving pre-screened offers of credit.
- Keep Personal Information Private – request personal information not to be shared when signing up on mailing lists, making donations, or when shopping at stores or online.
- Unsubscribe – contact companies directly to unsubscribe (e.g. unwanted catalogues, phone books, charities).
- Reuse – share catalogs with roommates, family members, neighbors and friends. You can also use shredded paper as composting material!
- Register for Mail Preference Service – visit the Direct Marketing Association, www.dmaconsumers.org/, to register for the Mail Preference Service and have your name removed from general mailing lists.
These easy steps can go a long way to preserve our natural resources, by not only saving trees but also by reducing the need for landfill space.