Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required:
- Approval from Architectural Review Committee (at least preliminary approval) or Homeowners Association approval
- Single Family Review done by the Planning Department
- Use permit or Variance permit (if applicable)
Applicants must have the following when applying for a building permit:
- Address of project (all projects are filed by address)
- Square footage of any new construction or addition
- Name, address, and phone number of building owner
- Name, address, and phone number of contractor (if known)
- Plan check fee (Based on project valuation)
The following additional fees may apply:
- W.S.I. (Water Systems Improvement fees), assessed at the Fire Department
- School fees if habitable area added exceeds 500 SF
- Parks & Recreation fees (5 units or more)
- TAMC fees (Transportation Agency for Monterey County). Regional impact fee for new structures or change of use.
Additional permits/approvals that may be needed prior to permit issuance:
- M. R. W. P. C. A. sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372-2385)
- Water Management District permit or waiver (658-5601)
- Health Dep’t. for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647-7650)
- Fisherman's Wharf only: Army Corps of Engineers, Coastal Commission approval and pre-construction meeting
MBUAPCD: For Demolitions (647-9411)
Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:
- California State Contractor's license
- Worker's compensation insurance certificate
- Current City of Monterey business license (646-3944)
- Note: Only licensed contractors or building owners may take out a building permit. Please contact the Building Permit & Inspection Division at 646-3890 for any additional information.
(all links are in Adobe PDF format)
- Temporary Encroachment Permit is a permit to perform any work within the City Right of Way (ROW) that detours, diverts, or blocks traffic, pedestrians and/or parking.
- Permanent Encroachment Permit is a permit to install any object or structure within the City Right of Way (ROW).
Street Opening Permits