This is your City and we want you to participate. Attend public meetings and workshops, become a volunteer or participate in our public safety programs. Send us your suggestions by email, fax or voicemail.
Learn about what's happening in the City by subscribing to City newsletters and watching our videos on the Monterey Channel (cable 25) or on-demand online.
Become a fan of the City on Facebook, or watch shows about Monterey on YouTube.
There is a lot you can do. We look forward to seeing and hearing from you!
- SPORTS- Learn and play Basketball, Wrestling, Martial Arts, Volleyball, and more!
- CAMPS- Join our Sports and Cheerleading Camps, usually held during school breaks.
- AQUATICS- Swim Lessons, Pre-Team Swim Training, Lifeguard Training, Water Safety Instructor Course, Float Nights. The MSC also has two pools and a waterslide!
- TEEN WORK EXPERIENCE - Develop leadership, organizational and supervisorial skills in a safe and fun camp environment.
- FACILITY- Youth Memberships (6-17 years old) includes use of two pools, waterslide, gymnasium, weight training center* and cardio fitness center * (* for 13 years old and up; see Front Desk for more details.)
- Please call 646-3730 for more information or go to www.monterey.org/sportscenter
- Each Community Center offers Teen Room hours daily!
- They also offer after school programs and general interest classes ( i.e. Babysitter and First Aid Training, Wii Love Fridays, Game On, gymnastics, Beginning and Intermediate Piano and much more!) Recreation staff will supervise children in games, crafts, sports, homework and special activities.
- Family Night- No fee. Each community center offers Family Night on a different night of the week.
Baseball Camp, Track & Field, Flag Football, Roller Hockey, Soccer and more! Contact Field Sports Office, 646-3969
Scholarships ("Playships") are available for the Monterey Sports Center.
Contact Monterey Recreation Administration office for other family rates, camperships and recreation playships. Call 646-3866 or email email@example.com
Teen Zone at the Monterey Public Library
A section of the Library reserved specifically for teens that includes reading materials, an information kiosk, work space and computer access. This page also has links for homework help, special programs, ideas for projects, and youth collections.
Try out the Library's new Homework Help Now program. Free 1-to-1 tutoring, SAT practice tests, writing help, and more. Available daily from 3-10 p.m. with a Library card. Check it out!
Ask a Librarian
The Library provides brief answers, Web sources, research help, and information about Library collections and services. To search the Catalog, renew materials, or place a hold, Checkout
The City offers a variety of volunteer opportunities for teens from special events to ongoing assignments throughout the City. Contact Volunteer Services at 646-3719.
Teen Volunteer Opportunities with Monterey Recreation
Are you interested in gaining job skills, getting an introduction to customer service while working with children in our summer recreation programs? Teen volunteer positions are available including Camp “Lots-O-Tots”, Playground and Day Camp Programs or Community Center reception area and programs. Teens must be between 13-16 years of age and complete an interview/orientation process which includes fingerprinting and TB testing. Application deadline is Friday, April 27, 2012. Space is limited! Volunteers must be willing to work a majority of the summer. For further information, please call Recreation Supervisor Shannon Leon at 646-3712 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CERT: Community Emergency Response Team
Learn what to do during a disaster, discover how you can react, assist your neighbors and survive in your own "backyard" should an emergency arise. Call Volunteer Services at 646.3719 to sign up or for more info contact Division Chief Felix Colello at 646-3900.
Community education programs - including school sites. New waste-management program matches youth groups to City recycling/waste management projects. Participating groups receive a stipend for participation. Contact Volunteer Services at 646-3719.
Teens 16 years or older who love being around children can earn money during summer by working for Monterey Recreation. More information can be found on the Monterey Recreation Seasonal Jobs page.
The Monterey Public Library may have afterschool and weekend employment opportunities shelving books as a Library Page. For more information please visit the Library Job Openings page.
Enjoy dance, photography, art, pottery, chess and cooking classes!
Come visit historic Colton Hall Museum and the Presidio of Monterey Museum!
Teens 16 and older can become volunteer guides for community service. Call 646-3991
The Bookmobile has eight stops at the community centers, schools, neighborhoods, and parks. Bookmobiles provide many of the same services as your library. You can search the Web, read a magazine (and check it out), check out books, DVDs, audiobooks etc. You can even request a book, and the Bookmobile will have it for you at your nearest stop!