Building and Public Works Permits

Contact Us

Permits & Inspections Office
580 Pacific Street, Room 4
Monterey, CA 93940
(831) 646-3890
Fax: (831) 646-5643

Monday - Friday
Open: 8 to noon and
12:30 to 4 p.m.*
Closed: noon - 12:30 p.m.
*Available by phone until 5 p.m.

John Kuehl
Building Official/Chief of Inspection Services, ADA Coordinator

Lisa Feliciano
Administrative Assistant II

Read the FAQs for the main questions we get asked about building permits. If you still have more questions, please contact us. Even if you don't need a building permit, you need to contact the Planning & Engineering Division at (831) 646-3885 for ANY EXTERIOR CHANGES made, including any accessory structure.

Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required:

  • Approval from Architectural Review Committee (at least preliminary approval) or Homeowners Association approval
  • Single Family Review done by the Planning Department
  • Use permit or Variance permit (if applicable)

Applicants must have the following when applying for a building permit:

  • Address of project (all projects are filed by address)
  • Square footage of any new construction or addition
  • Name, address, and phone number of building owner
  • Name, address, and phone number of contractor (if known)
  • Plan check fee (Based on project valuation)

The following additional fees may apply:

  • W.S.I. (Water Systems Improvement fees), assessed at the Fire Department
  • School fees if habitable area added exceeds 500 SF
  • Parks & Recreation fees (5 units or more)
  • TAMC fees (Transportation Agency for Monterey County). Regional impact fee for new structures or change of use.

Additional permits/approvals that may be needed prior to permit issuance:

  • M. R. W. P. C. A. sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372-2385)
  • Water Management District permit or waiver (658-5601)
  • Health Dep’t. for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647-7650)
  • Fisherman's Wharf only: Army Corps of Engineers, Coastal Commission approval and pre-construction meeting
    MBUAPCD: For Demolitions (647-9411)

Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:

  • California State Contractor's license
  • Worker's compensation insurance certificate
  • Current City of Monterey business license (646-3944)
  • Note: Only licensed contractors or building owners may take out a building permit. Please contact the Building Permit & Inspection Division at 646-3890 for any additional information. 

(all links are in Adobe PDF Adobe PDF format)

Encroachment Permits
Street Opening Permits
Driveway Permits
Sidewalk Permits